Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 80 minutes
Variety Fav(s): Golden Red
- 2 c. plus 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1½ lbs. Golden Red potatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp. Za’atar seasoning* (oil-based preferred)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. coarse Kosher salt
- ½ c. Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh dill weed, chopped
Preheat oven to 450-degrees on the bake/roast setting with the oven rack placed in the middle position. Combine two cups vegetable oil and thinly sliced yellow onion in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until onions are golden and making very few bubbles, about 45 minutes. When finished, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a cloth-lined surface.
While onions are frying, combine potatoes, Za’atar seasoning, garlic and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl and toss to coat. Place 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet and place over medium heat.
When the oil is hot, add the potatoes and pan fry, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, or until they just begin to brown. Transfer skillet to preheated oven and cook until potatoes are golden brown on the outside and tender in the middle, about 30 minutes.
While potatoes are cooking in the oven, in a small mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
Remove potatoes from oven with a heat-proof pad/glove. Serve immediately topped with a dollop of the citrus yogurt, some fried onions and a sprinkle of parsley and dill.
- *If using a dried Za’atar seasoning, simply combine two teaspoons of the seasoning with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Za’atar is a Mediterranean seasoning blend commonly consisting of thyme, sumac and sesame seeds, however, there are many different takes.
- Onions will seem soft when you first remove them from the oil. They will crisp as they drain and cool.